Introducing a NEW kind of writers’ workshop!
Writing is a powerful tool for personal expression and growth. It can also be a powerful way to build bridges between people. The Story Traders Project will help writers of any and all experience and skill levels develop their own craft, and will also bring participants together as an active community.
How it works:
- Writers meet on four consecutive Saturdays: 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, and 11/10, from 10 am to noon each day
- Each session begins with a 30-minute talk from the instructor on an element of writing craft
- Participants then have in-class writing time, followed by an opportunity to share and discuss their work as a group
What’s the “Story Trading” idea?
- For the first two sessions, participants focus on writing their own stories (whether fiction, nonfiction, poetry, journaling, etc.)
- In the third and fourth sessions, participants are paired up and share story “seeds” with each other: a memory, a personal anecdote or experience, an idea for a fictional story, an image that might turn into a poem, etc.
- Participants then use the story “seeds” shared by their partners to create a new piece of written work
Why trade stories?
- Telling another person’s story helps writers hone their own craft
- Listening to their partner’s story “seed” helps writers see through their partner’s eyes: a valuable skill in writing
- Creating work based on outside inspiration frees writers up to experiment and challenge themselves
- Trading stories in any form helps to build bridges and create a strong community
Who is welcome?
Everyone! Fiction writers, poets, memoirists, journal writers…
No matter what you write, or whether you’ve been doing it all your life or are just starting out: if you love words, we want you.
- The PILOT class will be held at First Presbyterian Church of Bel Air, MD: 224 North Main Street, Bel Air (across from the Shop Rite)
- Sessions will be held in FPC’s Conference Room (in the church basement)
- Cost: $110 for the four weeks for non-church members; $99 for church members
- The four-week session will be a pilot; a full twelve-week session may be offered in winter/spring
- Also working on an online option, so writers can join from anywhere 🙂
Email Kris at firstname.lastname@example.org today!
Ready to sign up?
Click here to pay by PayPal.
$110 for non-FPC members; $99 for members